Saturday 12 March 2011

Never Let me go – Kazuo Ishiguro

Kazuo Ishiguro was a very nice surprise.
I’ve had never heard anything from this writer until my girlfriend gave me this book. It’s a page-turner once you get into the story, you can’t stop reading!
It starts almost as a Harry Potter without the sorcery, but once you understand that something’s wrong with the students of that school, you start wanting to understand what it is.
Ishiguro then gives us, what you could describe as a science’s fiction novel, but without the spaceships and the lasers.  It’s just for the story to make sense and let’s face it, it’s not that important.
What Ishiguro gives us that is important is a love trio and a magnificent story that lets out a few very pertinent questions for us to think about in the end.
Don’t get me wrong, I really liked the book, but what I’ve enjoyed even more was the time after the book when I read the last word, that’s when I’ve enjoyed the book the most. So many questions for us to think about;
What are the boundaries of our lives?
What are we willing to accept, willing to bear in exchange of our comfort?
How much are we willing to ask, how much do we want to know, after understanding that knowledge can be painful?
In the end a very very good book and a great surprise.
Ishiguro has a new reader, me!

No comments: